Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Trainy Day

I can never understand the love-hate relationship that I have with the Indian Railways. Latest, I travelled to my home town and as usual, I was travelling alone. Though this time also, there were a lot of hiccups, but I got a reminder of my inherent comfort while travelling in Indian Railways.

I have many reasons to hate travelling alone. Though, I am not fond of talking a lot, travelling with someone known appears more comfortable than travelling alone. Also, I always get the “honour” of travelling long distances in train.  With Indian Railways’ “super efficiency”, the journey is usually “shortened” by a few hours and that kills me. All the unknown fellow passengers have equally “contributed” to my never ending saga. I hate travelling in a sleeper class; very badly maintained and don’t suit any weather in India; and therefore always prefer to travel by an AC coach. I am too tall to fit in any of the seats and during day time, it is very hard for me to sit the whole day with my legs folded (now it is a bit painful because of my knee injury :().

But this time around, I made a point to see the whole thing from a different perspective. Since I had all the time in the world to think (though thanks to my music phone and the new found habit of reading, I do keep myself occupied), I was just trying to remember what all did I like when I travelled by train. And behold!! , the scene was right in front of me. I could see my own train bending at a curve and I could feel the same rush of excitement, as I felt when I was a kid. As I explored further, I found that it had lot more to offer. When I rested my head on the walls of the compartment, the vibration were soothing (never expected such a feeling there).  

With my music phone adding a filmi touch, some of the songs, namely, hoga tumse pyaara kaun, maeri – euphoria, chaiyya chaiyya, made me wish that I could shoot one of them right then with me in the centre :). Also, I believe that my understanding of natural beauty has grown with time and what appeared during childhood as mere land with forests and farms, appeared to be a perfect place for shooting an epic. I always wished (and still do) that I will run to each and every place I see and explore every part of it. With some of the locations, my imagination ran riot and I could hardly understand why Drona had to go all the way to Namibia to save the world, he could have done it right here (now I know why it didn’t click at the box office).

I have to travel by train again. I will curse it again and will get mesmerised again.  If someone gives me an option, I can never say a yes or no to a train travel. I think every journey on it has something in store for everyone. You just need to open your eyes.

3 comments:

  1. A really really nice, feel-good post. Something totally unexpected, not because you don’t seem happy generally… :D, but, because…. The piece seems so very childlike and well, its tough to come across such sweet writings nowadays. I like the fact that you haven’t written anything just for the sake of writing, I like the fact that you haven’t cluttered your post with unnecessary words and I like the fact that I can easily identify each detail mentioned. The [i]khatar-patar charm [/i]of Indian Railways is truly inimitable and even though I’d love conditions to improve, its been long since I traveled by tain… and am really looking forwad to it too. Nice blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:14 PM

    good if there is no option better enjoy the journey venu gopal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good God..I too posted a blog wherein I mentioned my piece of train experience..May b V Indians have a bit of Indian Railways in all of us..:P.
    Nice blog btw..ur newly reading skills are quite visible in ur writing skill..(eg. my imagination ran riot). lemme kno if i'l wrong.:), though I'm yet to get into dis reading habit.:(

    ReplyDelete

The hidden losers

After a long time, I have found a topic I am thinking about all the time. The topic is not new. It has always been a theme running somewhere...